1. The CareGiving Life
- The Baby Boomers: The final chapter of an epidemic of chronic diseases.
- A perfect storm for a chronic disease epidemic.
- Treating the 21 million baby boomers who suffer from advanced chronic disease.
- Easing Suffering
- Reducing Wasted Medical Spending
2. Focus on Family CareGivers & Home Health Workers
- Building Clinical Skills
- Reducing Social Isolation
3. Disease-Specific Disease Management
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Alzheimer's Disease
4. Controlling Cost
- Advanced chronic disease patients comprise just 5% of the population, but spend 50% of our health care dollars.
- How hospitalization runs up costs.
- Avoidable spending
- Controlling costs
5. A Status Quo for Care that Doesn't Work
Patients who can't take care of themselves
How medicine has convinced itself that these patients don't need help
- Why we can't rely on patients to manage their own their diseases
- Cognitive deficits
- Physical limitations
- Decades of self neglect
- The three fallacies
- Scare tactics work
- Patients should manage their own chronic diseases
- Teach it once and they will learn
6. What Will Work
- Advanced disease
- Medication adherence
- Warning sign recognition
- Sensible, humane choices during the last year of life
7. A Community of CareGivers
- Daily Content
- Education and entertainment that speaks specifically to cultures
- Making friends and rediscovering life for caregivers